CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, August 24, 2009

A car trip goes terribly wrong

The smell of puke has been haunting me all day.
I can't figure out if maybe I didn't get it all washed off or if maybe the scent has become ingrained inside my nostrils.
Anyway....
We drove to Morehead City today so Sky could be fitted for her pointe shoes. Everything was fine until Drake started complaining of his stomach hurting. We had stopped at Wendys in James City for lunch as we were running a bit behind schedule, even though I've been a nazi about eating in the new car. The boys were sitting in the very back, the two girls in the middle seats. About a mile or so from our destination, Drake started crying and complaining about his stomach. I was telling him to hang on we were almost there (we were in the turn lane waiting to turn into the parking lot of the dance shop), when he started puking everywhere. Skylar and I were yelling for Bart to put the Wendys bag under his face to catch the puke. He puked three times, but Bart had his earphones on watching Pirates of the Caribbean so had no idea why everyone was yelling. Drake started screaming because he was covered in puke and everyone else was yelling. So we careened into the parking lot with everyone, including the baby, yelling.
Ugh. It was so disgusting.
Drake rarely ever throws up. He never once threw up in our old car. I could only laugh so that I didn't cry. I was trying so hard to keep the car nice, and I really loved the leather smell every time we got inside. Now all we could smell was french fry and milk barf.
I jumped out and told Skylar to get Lucy out. She held the baby while I wiped Drake up as best as I could and unbuckled him from his seat. Luckily, most of the mess was on Drake and his carseat. A little got on the carpet and there was some on the seat of the car, too. The carseat was absolutely covered. I stripped Drake down to his diaper - he looked and smelled like a homeless kid - and used about half of our box of baby wipes to clean him up. I put the yucky carseat outside and we walked into the dance shop just in time for Skylar's appointment. She got fitted rather quickly - I felt bad that her big moment was overshadowed by the younger siblings' bodily functions. Before we knew it, we were walking out of the shop - Skylar carrying Lucy and a new pair of pointe shoes, me carrying naked Drake and $65 less than I had gone in with.
Now, the fun part. I put Drake in Bart's booster seat, moved Lucy and Skylar down, and had Bart sit in the middle row with them. Poor Drake was stuck all alone in the back seat with the smell of his own vomit. We stopped at Big Kmart to buy clothes and car-cleaning supplies. I had absolutely no extra clothes to put on Drake, so I tied Lucy's bright pink polka-dot blanket around his neck like a cape and loaded him into a shopping cart. Poor thing, he looked like a cross-dressing superhero, without the tights.
Well....let's just say that was an interesting day. After all the confusion and delays, I had just enough time to put Lucy to bed, throw Drake into the shower with his brother, jump in the shower myself, and get dressed for work. I had initially been concerned that Drake was sick, but he magically felt fine as soon as he had blown chunks, and he was perfectly OK for the rest of the day. He even got new clothes out of the mess....smart guy.

1 comment:

Nessa and Jeebs said...

is that all I have to do for new clothes?= puke? hehehe I think I'll just stick with my old ones. yuck what a story- I feel your pain!