CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, June 4, 2009

I'm so proud

Yesterday George called me at work to let me know that he beat Metallica's One on Guitar Hero. On Hard. Granted, that song is really difficult, especially on Hard. Beating it on Expert has to be completely impossible. It was so cute. He was so proud of himself. I had thought he was calling to tell me one of the kids had broken an arm or something. Then when I got home, he asked me if he'd told me yet that he beat One on hard. He was so excited, though, I just had to laugh at him.
Tonight I had my Pharmacy Tech mid-term. I expected it to be pretty hard since it was on 9 chapters, but I finished in about half an hour. I think I did well.
The first grade classes at BDQ had a little assembly yesterday. Bart was recognized as an Independent Reader. All the Independent Readers received gold medals. I'm really happy that Bart loves to read so much now. He's always liked books, but I can pinpoint the exact day (if I go back and look at my earlier posts) that he caught the reading bug. It was the day over Spring Break that I took the kids to the library and Bart checked out the Pirate School chapter books. He DEVOURED them and has been going strong ever since. He's read over one hundred AR books for class this year.
Watch out, Skylar. For the past few years, she's been our little over-achiever. Now it looks like Bart is following suit. Last Thursday at BDQ Awards Night, Skylar was probably one of the most awarded kids. She's really done well this year, earning over five hundred AR points.
Let's see....news about Drake. He's been alternating between being a total punk and being the sweetest boy ever. I just don't understand how they can swing back and forth like that. One moment I'm ready to beat his butt and the next moment I'm covering his little face with kisses and telling him what a good big brother he is. He's very excited about his upcoming birthday (in September) and we're already planning a Diego/jungle theme. Drake thinks every birthday that is celebrated is HIS birthday and he should get cake and presents. A few days ago, he said, "I want Daddy to make pancakes so I can sing Happy Birthday to You to me".
Madame Lucy is into everything. Today she grabbed one of Drake's markers and colored on her hand and shirt before I got it away from her. Later, I found pink marker smudges high up on the wall of the downstairs bathroom. I'm not sure how she got it up there.
Well, that's about it for now. Heigh ho, heigh ho, it's off to work I go again tomorrow. I get to pick up my first pay check - hopefully it'll be worth the work.

1 comment:

Brian James said...

Arrr! Matey,

I stumbled across your blog while looking for any new posts about my Pirate School books...

Your post made me very happy...inspiring kids to love reading is the highest compliment a children's book author can get! :)

all the best,
brian james