CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Date night

Saturday night I was invited to a party given by one of our pharmacists at work. It sounded like a lot of fun and I really wanted to go, but George had planned for us to go out on a date. He even asked his mom to come over and watch the children. We had not gone out together on a date in quite awhile, so I skipped the party.
From minute one, the date kind of stank. We quibbled over what we were going to go do. George wanted me to tell him exactly what we were going to do. Well, there's really nothing in New Bern to do for a date when it's the last minute and you're short on funds. Besides dinner and catching a movie, there wasn't much else we were up for - I was too sore from work to be up for bowling or skating. So we ended up annoyed with one another because neither of us wanted to decide what to do. We ended up going to see Star Trek, but because it was so late, we didn't have time for dinner before the movie, so I ate a ton of popcorn smothered in butter and made myself sick. George was grumpy most of the evening. I was kind of ticked off and figured I'd have had a lot more fun at the party with people I barely knew.
George ended up making the whole thing up to me, though. He took the kids out on an errand to find a funny, romantic comedy from the 30's or 40's while I was at a church meeting with Lucy. After all the children were in bed, he surprised me by turning out the lights, lighting an oil lamp on the mantle, and making a pallet on the living room floor for us. He took the futon mattress and COVERED it with every pillow in the house almost. (Skylar told me the next day that she had slept on only one very flat pillow that night). He put on the movie - a Marx Brothers film from 1938 - and gave me my own personal container of Ben & Jerry's Karamel Sutra ice cream. Yum, yum, yum, delicioso!
It was so fun and relaxing. And George had obviously put a good deal of thought and effort into surprising me. He certainly did surprise me. He didn't even try to sneak any of my ice cream. We had way more fun staying at home together than we did going out and spending at ton at the movies. We both agreed that it was the most fun we've had in a long time and can't wait to do it again soon.

No comments: