CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Eleven Years





Bear with me, y'all. I'm going to be sappy.
Eleven years ago today, George and I were relaxing in newly-wedded bliss, preparing to go on our honeymoon.
Yeah...tonight we ate Ghirardelli brownies with vanilla ice cream and watched So You Think You Can Dance after the kids went to bed.
How things change.
Some people might consider that pathetic, but I'm actually way happier now than I was then. I was so immature and stupid back then - we both were. Now, we've learned a lot of really hard lessons about life and about marriage. And it's made our marriage so much stronger. We've gone through some really rough patches, but (at the risk of sounding totally corny) it has really made us appreciate having each other.
When we first got married, I thought: How is it possible to love anyone else as much as I love George?
Then came Skylar. And Bart. And Drake. And Lucy.
And I am continually amazed at the capacity for human love. I never would have thought it was possible to love George more than I did at that moment eleven years ago when I stood with him and pledged my life to his. That was amazing.
Then we were sealed in the Temple a few years later with our children, and our family took on an eternal perspective. That was beyond amazing.
It has only taken us eleven years, but I think we're finally "getting" this marriage thing. The other day at lunch, Skylar was making fun of me again because I'll be 30 in September. George told her not to make fun of my age because I was the hottest 30-year-old he'd ever seen and "some things just get better with age".
I nearly cried.
The man I married would have never said such a sweet thing! I wondered when exactly aliens had abducted my husband.
George continued the analogy, comparing me to the expensive 4-year aged parmesan cheese he had just bought at Harris Teeter.
OK, so no alien abduction. Just a husband that has learned a thing or two over the course of a decade (and still has a few things to learn yet).
And since I found it sweet rather than insulting to be compared with old cheese, I guess I should conclude that I've changed a lot, too.
So what do I love best about life with George? It would have to be that it keeps getting better. I used to be terrified of getting old (OK, I still kind of am), but I'm also looking forward to what the next decade of marriage will bring. It is such a good feeling to have someone to share your life with who is (almost) on the same page as you. For the first few years together, I don't even think we were on the same book!
I'm really looking forward to the rest of the story, though.

1 comment:

Nessa and Jeebs said...

That was sweet Wendy- I knew George was a good person deep inside :) Congrats on 11 years!! ps what the heck was up with the alien dance- the dance wasn't too bad, but the dang costume- ridiculous