CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, March 2, 2009

It's Winter Again

Friday we went to the park without jackets. Today it snowed....sort of. The sky kind of spit little grains of ice or snow down on us for awhile, but there just wasn't enough of it. It is cold, though. By Friday I think it's going to be 74 though.
When I went in to get Lucy this morning, she had pulled her pants off and was chewing on them, happy as can be. Clever girl.
I took Drake and Lucy to Wal-Mart this morning to exchange some pants, thinking to myself that it would be a super-fast trip since I wasn't shopping for anything else.
Ha ha. When will I learn?
There was a line to get a sticker for returns and a line the length of the Mississippi at Customer Service. And of course only one associate working.
While I was waiting, Lucy started crying, so I picked her up and immeediately realized she had a smelly diaper. Drake needed his diaper changed, too, so as soon as we got done at Customer Service we hurried to the bathroom. By this time, I really had to go, too. I sat Lucy in her carrier (on the floor) without buckling her in while I changed Drake. Then I turned my head to get Lucy's diaper out of my bag on the floor. All of a sudden the baby comes flying out of her carrier head-first, skids a couple of inches on her tummy, and bumps her head on the bottom of the changing table. And wails. Apparently Drake decided to rock her and ended up dumping her out. He kept saying "We give baby medicine?"
Somehow, I changed Lucy while managing not to throttle my toddler as he defiantly played in front of the bathroom door. Feeling ruthless, I decided I was just going to have to let him learn the hard way. I had forgotten to replenish Lucy's stock of diapers in the diaper bag, so I had to swaddle her in one of Drake's size 6's and pray she wouldn't have a blow-out before reaching home. Lucy was still upset so I had to hold her on my lap while I used the toilet.
Let me tell you, it is some feat of acrobatics to hold a crying baby, pee, and keep a naughty two-year-old from unlocking the door and throwing it open while your pants are down. Somehow we prevailed, and God bless the mom who gave me a sympathetic look when we emerged and said, "I know how it is!"
Checking out was a blast. Lucy howled the whole time, protesting being strapped back into her carrier and no doubt the unsightly red bump on her forehead (when I pointed out her boo-boo to Drake he replied sweetly, "Baby pretty, Mama"). Drake took up her cries, too, when I flat out refused to buy him chocolate at the cash register - how I hate those dang candy displays!
I really have to be grateful that we had a kind cashier who seemed sympathetic and amused by my duet of screamers. The greeter stopped us at the door to admire the children and relate how her niece freaked out over chocolate, too.
I left thinking, "Wow that wasn't as bad as it could have been!"
What a great network of support we women are for each other - sometimes just a smile and a few words of sympathy can save a mom from total insanity.

No comments: