CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, September 11, 2008

Drake's Happy Day


Today is Drake's 2nd birthday. It's hard for me to believe that only two years ago he was Lucy's size. How grown up he is now! He even insists that he is not a baby, but a "big boy", then he points to me and says, "Mama. Boy", meaning that I'm a boy, too.
Lucy had a rough time going to sleep last night, but once she did, she slept until almost 6am. I fed her and put her back to bed until about 7:30 when she woke up, ate again, and went back to bed until 10am. She sleeps in our bedroom, but she sleeps in her car seat. She will not sleep very long in her Moses basket, but she will go for hours in her car seat. So, I was able to get up and play with Drake, get a shower in the playroom bathroom, and make a batch of icing for Drake's birthday cake, all before Lucy woke up.


We tried to make a really big deal about Drake's birthday, getting him hyped up about turning two and getting birthday cake. While I was making the icing, I let him taste way too much, but I think it's OK to indulge once in awhile.
Mom and Mimi came to visit shortly after Lucy woke up. Lucy was awake for a good while, and even mustered two or three smiles. Then Mom and I took the two little ones to Wal Mart to do some birthday party shopping. Drake's birthday party is this Saturday, here at our house. It's just going to be a low-key (but hopefully fun) cook-out.
Three hours or so later, we emerged from Wal Mart. By some stroke of fortune, Lucy had through the entire shopping trip. Drake did really well, too, for it being smack in the middle of his nap time. We picked up pre-made cupcakes at the store to have after dinner tonight. For Saturday, I'm making a train cake.
When we got home, I somehow wheedled Drake into his bed (finally!) at three o'clock. Lucy napped off and on, and I baked the first layer of the train cake, which came out really well. I'm baking the second layer right now.
George brought home pizza, Drake's favorite food. Dinner was a bit of a circus, as usual. Drake opened his present from us and we all ate cupcakes. Drake actually blew his candle out all by himself on his first try. When we brought the lit cupcake in to him, he started singing "Happy Birthday" to himself before the rest of us could join in. It was way adorable. I feel so blessed to be the mom of my four sweet kids.
Tuesday Lucy and I took Drake to get his hair cut. We have been taking Drake to Kids Cuts on Trent Road. It is definitely worth the $12 plus tip it costs for him. He happily goes to sit on the tractor seat and watch whatever movie is on the flat screen TV (TD, he calls it) in front of him while uttering barely a peep as he is clipped, buzzed, and combed. It's great. And if you have to wait awhile for your turn, you can play in the indoor play area. I used to take Bart and Skylar to a similar place in Wake Forest when they were much younger. Now, I trim Skylar's hair and George uses his clippers on Bart. (You only get the star treatment if you are a wiggly little munchkin that won't sit still for mom or dad.) And best of all, it's right next door to a snow cone shop. Does it get any better than this?

No comments: