CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, June 11, 2008

My Pirate Boys




Monday was the last full day of school for the year. I can hardly believe Bart's kindergarten year is over already! His teacher asked me to make cupcakes for their end of the year party. Drake and I showed up to eat lunch with him and join in at their pirate party.



We sat on the floor in the kindergarten pod and ate our lunches. Bart shared his PB&J sandwich with his little brother. It was pretty cute.



The principal had given all the children ice cream or popsicles, which they got to eat before the rest of their lunches (a big treat), so everyone was nice and sticky. There were lots of drink spills while we ate, to add to the overall stickiness. It still amazes me how messy kindergarteners are when they eat. I have this food-on-face aversion, so I don't think I would do well as a kindergarten teacher. Anyhow...



After lunch, the children cleaned up and prepared to go on their treasure hunt. They started out in the classroom with the first clue, which led them all over the school, from the library to the cafeteria to the playground, and all places in between. When we arrived back at the classroom, the little pirates received their treasure - a pirate party! There was a pile of gold necklaces and coins on each table and pirate place settings for each child, complete with a goody bag and a beach cupcake.



Even Drake participated. Amazingly, he was content to remain in his stroller the whole time, munching on candy and pretzels and goldfish. There were bubbles, candy necklaces, play dough, juice, balls - all sorts of pirate loot.



I think the cupcakes went over well. They were pretty, but a pain to ice. I was so annoyed after having to go to three different stores before I finally found little paper umbrellas, that I ended up buying a box of 144 of them - just in case I should take leave of my senses and want to make some more of them any time soon. I used graham cracker crumbs for the sand, and flavored the icing with almond extract for a little more beachy taste.
Tuesday (yesterday) was the last day of school. It was a half-day, so I came to school early to deliver some teacher gifts and to pick up the children before they got on the bus. We potted chamomile and gave them to teachers this year. Last year, we potted thyme and I made clever/cheesy little card to go along with the plants, saying something like, "It's thyme to say goodbye, but don't forget me..." Well, I couldn't think of anything clever or cheesy to go along with chamomile, so I just made little cards with what looked like chamomile flowers on them that said something like, "Have a great summer". Whatever. Anyway, it was kind of neat to be at school on the last day. Drake and I went last year, too. The children all line up in the 2nd-3rd grade pod while the graduating 5th graders parade through. Everyone claps and cheers. Then, after loading the buses, the bus drivers all drive in a circle, beeping their horns, while the kids on the bus shout and wave and the bystanders cheer, before driving off. In carpool, all the cars beep as they drive off, and some even tie balloons and streamers to their antennas. It's all very exciting for the kids.
I had wanted to do something special with the children in the evening, especially since both Skylar and Bart brought home excellent report cards. George and I decided to take them bowling after dinner. However, all three children were so naughty, that we ended up using dinnertime as a lecture on good behavior, and punishing them by not taking them bowling. We felt pretty bad since it was their last day of school for the summer, and they had done so well at school, but we are not about to let them get out of control over break. Especially not with baby number four on the way. But really, Bart was completely defiant toward George and I all afternoon, and kept making Drake scream. Even Skylar was being a little booger. She was deliberately baiting Bart to make him yell, and one time I caught her not letting him in the door from outside. And Drake chunked his full sippy cup at Bart's head (with extremely good aim). Had Bart not ducked, he probably would've been knocked out. Then, Drake proceeded to screech at the top of his lungs, apparently because we told him no, we do NOT throw things at people. In fact, he kept screeching until George covered his mouth and, looking him in the eyes, told him forcefully no screaming. Yes, it was a three-ring circus around our house yesterday. I suppose the children were just letting out all their pent-up energy, but George and I decided not to take any chances and just nip it in the bud before it got out of control.
So...my children were little terrors, but we resolved that the next day would be better.

No comments: