CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, May 22, 2008

What is wrong????

Today was probably number one on my scary days as a mom list, right up there with having to take my 3-week old baby (Bart) into the emergency room with a high fever and then watch as he was strapped down for a spinal tap and endless x-rays. He ended up having the flu, by the way. But while we were in the hospital that long night, the TV in the room was playing back-to-back Stuart Little, which I cannot watch to this day. But I digress...
Apparently, some kids sighted an armed man on campus today at Skylar & Bart's elementary school. The school went into complete lock-down mode, what is called a "Code 300". All the children and teachers in the building took cover and the 91 children outside during the incident were evacuated through the woods. The last I'd heard, the police called for a bus to pick those children up and take them to a nearby church. Meanwhile the rest of the school was locked inside. All this happened around 11am. The school was supposed to release today at 1pm, but the children didn't get home until 2:30.
I didn't know that anything was happening until Christy, the mom of one of Skylar's friends called to tell me. I was totally freaked, but I was surprised at how calm I was able to remain. I was frustrated that there was nothing any of us parents could do but sit and wait. Irrational though it might be, your first instinct is to go get your kids and bring them home. Christy continued to call me and keep me updated. I passed on the info to my friend, Kelly, whose boys also go to Ben D. Quinn. Her two boys ended up both being among those kids evacuated to the church. Christy called to let me know that the school was finally letting the children go home, that the area was as secure as it could be, but no suspect was found. We were all weirded out to learn that something similar had happened at Brinson Elementary, across the river, just yesterday afternoon. There wasn't (as far as I know) an actual gunman sighted, but someone had tried to get into the school, which immediately went into lock-down mode. There just isn't a lot of information right now. The kids ARE NOT going to school tomorrow, because I just don't know what's going on frankly. That there aren't any leads at this time on the alleged armed person is disturbing. That there was a sighting several months ago of an armed person on campus by several children (there was no Code 300 called that time and not everyone even knew about the sighting) is even more disturbing. What is going on?
To complicate matters, a police car which was responding to the emergency at BDQ - with his lights and sirens on, mind you - T-boned a Lexus SUV at an intersection near the school. The driver of the Lexus had to be cut out of the car. What a day...
I wanted to go pick the children up, but by the time I found out they were releasing them, they had already started putting them on buses and sending them home. When Skylar and Bart got home, Skylar was more afraid than Bart had been. It was more like an adventure for him. He said he had found "clues" and a "secret passage" at the school. Skylar had spent two hours in the girls' bathroom while the school was locked down, at least an hour of which she stood on the toilet seat in one of the stalls. Apparently, they've been taught that during a Code 300, if they are in or near a bathroom, they're to lock themselves in a stall and stand on the toilet seat, and that if anyone opens the door, to climb over the wall or under to the next stall. Scary. Skylar said there were other kids (including boys) and teachers with her in the bathroom. Eventually, once the police were inside the building, they were allowed to go into a classroom. Skylar said she cried, and that this brat girl who keeps making fun of her, made fun of her while she was crying, so she kicked the girl. George was kind of mad that Skylar did that, but I told her good for her. I don't want to encourage violence or kids fighting, but Skylar has to stand up for herself sometimes. She has put up with a lot this year (and last year, too) in regard to people who have taken a disliking to her and have decided to just be plain mean to her on a regular basis. There are plenty of really nice kids at school, but there are also a handful who are just spoiled little snots who need their ipods and cell phones taken away for good and who need to actually be made to do chores and think about other people for a change. Ranting? Yep, I sure am. Don't even get me started.
But anyway...I was just really thankful that the children came home safely. We laid low for the rest of the afternoon, had a snack, played Cars Uno. Skylar won three times, Bart and I each won once. When George got home, we went to get dinner at Waffle House. I didn't feel like cooking and hadn't taken anything out of the freezer for dinner. We tried to make it a pretty normal night as far as bedtime routines go, but we had to keep re-capping everything for people who had heard on the news what happened and were concerned. I think I was on the phone for a total of several hours today.
Now I'm just exhausted. I know Skylar and Bart must be. Drake could sense the stress and had a hard time falling asleep. Great way to start off the Memorial Day holidays, huh? Skylar has her dance dress rehearsal tomorrow evening, and the following evening is the actual recital. No time to stop here. She was supposed to have a Girl Scout meeting at the River Bend Country Club at 3pm today, but since they didn't get home until 2:30, we didn't go.
So, my question is: if there was really someone with a gun, what on earth were they doing or thinking? What is wrong with the world that someone would get a kick out of scaring a bunch of little kids? I'm just sick at heart. I don't want to send my kids back to school. However, I am thankful that BDQ was so prepared and efficient with their emergency drill. They were able to keep all the children safe and that's what's important. In the meantime, I'll be keeping them close until I get some more information.

No comments: