CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, May 30, 2008

Skylar's Dance Recital

Friday the 22nd was Skylar's dance recital dress rehearsal at Grover C. Fields Middle School. It was our first year having a lot of dances to dress for. Skylar danced in 5 numbers this year: ballet, 2 tap numbers, jazz, and lyrical. I had volunteered to be a backstage mom, so I was on my feet (doing a lot of running) the whole time. With my big, pregnant stomach, I imagine I was pretty humorous running around. Skylar did beautifully, and went to spend the night with her friend, Hannah, who is in all of her dances with her.
Saturday was the actual recital, which began at 7pm. My mom, George's parents, Mindy, and Leslie-Grace came over for a cook-out around 3pm or so. George grilled burgers and hot dogs which were really tasty. After we ate, Skylar had to get ready and we had to rush on over to the middle school. There was a lot more running involved, and a ton of costume changes, but a lot of fun, too. Skylar's ballet production number was really good. It involved tambourines, I was really impressed with the work that went into it. I think George was even impressed, and he is notoriously merciless when it comes to dance recitals. The favorite of the night was probably one of Skylar's tap numbers, Revenge of the Nerds. All the girls really let loose and hammed it up for that dance. You could tell they were having a ball, and they were hilarious. At the end, Skylar almost got closed out of the curtain, by mistake, but it just added to the performance. The girls had the most fun designing their nerd costumes and acting "nerdy". It was like Halloween; they got to dress up and pretend to be something that is not usually "acceptable".
Skylar was exhausted by the end of the whole thing. Her feet hurt, and we didn't get home until 10:30. We were both pretty hungry, so we ate again before bed. Here is the only picture (and a really bad one) that George bothered to take at the recital, even after I reminded him that I really wanted him to take pictures. Sure, I have Skylar's formal dance portraits, but I really wanted some action shots. So, I guess he can say that he technically took a picture, although it's a really stinky one. In the background, you can - almost- see Skylar's ballet production number. I'll just have to scan and post her formal portraits later.

Sunday morning, Skylar was so tired that George stayed home from church with her and Drake. I took Bart and Renee to church - late. Still, we made it, so that's what counts, I hope.

No comments: