CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, May 18, 2008

Last Week


Last Tuesday evening, Bart had to skip karate for a second week in a row. The kindergarten and first graders at BDQ were performing stories by Eric Carle after the PTO meeting. The kindergarten performed "The Very Hungry Caterpillar". When I say "performed", well, they really didn't say or do anything. They came out while the story played on an overhead projector, dressed in costume. When I say "costume", I mean that they wore a big picture of their character. Bart was a sausage. He was pretty cute, too. After the performance, the children sang a couple of songs and danced a little. My camera batteries died, so a friend is going to send me a picture of Bart dressed as the sausage and I'll have to post it later. Mom was able to come with us to see him.
Earlier that day, I had had to take my dreaded 3-hour sugar test. Of course, it all came out OK, but it was such a pain. By the time the three hours was up, I was shaking and nauseous. I had gotten a heat flash and I thought I was going to pass out. I couldn't drive, so Mom had to drive us to a restaurant to get a bite to eat. I chowed down on hibachi steak at our fast-food Japanese restaurant. It was SO good.
Friday after school, the children and I went to pick up Skylar's friend, Hannah, who just lives up Plantation Drive from us. She came over and played with Skylar until about 7pm. The girls performed some of their recital dances. They're in all the same classes together, except Hannah is in the production company and Skylar is not. We discussed Skylar doing production company this year coming up, but I just don't think it's a good idea. It's a big time commitment, plus I think a lot of the rehearsals are on Sundays.


We had planned on getting up at 5am to go to Manteo on Saturday for the March of Dimes March for Babies. We had been planning it for months and were able to raise $170, thanks to our friends and family. However, George thought it was not wise for us to spend over $100 in gas to get there in back, plus all the meal costs. I was pretty annoyed because I absolutely HATE when we plan something and then the night before or the morning of, he's like "I don't think we should go for such and such reasons..." Did I mention I HATE that? I might hate it, but I couldn't argue that we could spare $200 at the present. So, we decided to go 45 minutes to Emerald Isle rather than the 3 1/2 hours to Roanoke Island. We let the kids play on the beach for a couple of hours and returned home to do some badly needed yard work. We'll mail the donations in, and hope that next year it doesn't cost over $50 to fill the car up with gas. I really did want to go. It's such a neat event and a wonderful experience for the family. We had even thought about taking the ferry to Roanoke, but it would've added another two hours each way to our travel time, and I'm not entirely sure it would've been any cheaper. So, next year...

No comments: