CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, November 14, 2008

Sleep Walking

I realized tonight that Skylar is not the only one sleep walking lately. I was sitting on the sofa, nursing Lucy, and I had dozed off. George woke me up, and after a few minutes in which I listened to him while he prattled on about something (I can't remember what), I thought I was awake enough to reply. My contacts were really dry, so I was trying to tell him I needed to put drops in my contact lenses, but what came out was "I need to put crap in my sunglasses."
What the heck? Sunglasses?
Kind of reminds me of a time when Bart was a newborn baby. I had him sleeping in the bassinet next to my bed so I could easily reach him when he woke up to eat. Well, he woke up in the middle of the night, so I reached over, picked him up, and put him up to nurse, only he didn't stop crying. After a few seconds of groping around with my eyes still shut, trying to get him to latch on, he was still crying. Eventually I opened my eyes, discovered Bart was still in the bassinet wailing, and I had been trying to nurse a stuffed animal the whole time.
I'm telling you, people, check your dignity at the door when you become a mother.
I'm curious what other random acts of exhaustion I've committed unknowingly.
Today was one of those non-stop days I usually try to avoid. We got up, took the Big Two to school, bought trash stickers, I RACED through a shower, didn't dry my hair, and we went to meet Vanessa and Cage at Wal-Mart to check out some patterns and fabric for a church skit. Then I did drive-through lunch on the way to Skylar's Terrific Kids Assembly while Drake grabbed a 15-minute nap in the car. Then we sat through about 45 minutes of clapping and picture-taking, brought Bart and Skylar home from school, and fed Lucy. Then I made a pie and a cake (sans the baking part - I baked it at Vanessa's), and we ran over to Vanessa and James' for dinner.
Lucy had another rough evening. She's still on her nursing strike (I'm curious as to what union babies are a part of??). Anyway, after some tears, I finally coerced her into nursing, and she fell asleep by 11:00pm or so. I've been having to trick her, by getting her to suck on her binkie and then doing the old switcheroo when she's not expecting it. Most of the time it works and she eats.
Tonight, the MOMENT I laid her down in her Moses basket, even though she had been absolutely, positively out like a light, she woke up and started to fuss. George took her and rocked her back to sleep, bless him, and here I am typing past midnight again.
Don't I ever learn?

No comments: