CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, June 5, 2010

Guess where I went?

Yep. The hospital. Well, actually the Express Care, but it's attached to the hospital. Close enough.
That makes the third time I have been there in less than four months. This time, thankfully, it wasn't for Lulu.
I got bitten by a fire ant on my foot this afternoon, not a big deal. We get fire ant bites all the time. They hurt and itch like heck, but you put Benadryl spray on them and they're gone in a couple of days. This time, two of my toes and the top of my foot swelled up and over the neck half hour or so, I developed horrible itching and hives everywhere. It was so bad, even my scalp and the inside of my ears and my earlobes itched like the devil. My eyelids itched. It was gross. I didn't want to wear clothes because wherever my clothes touched, it was torture.
We had earlier gone to Skylar's non-dress dress rehearsal for her recital, and were headed home to get her ready for her very first school dance. (I don't know if she was excited about it, but I sure was). I was so looking forward to the whole thing - the getting her ready, helping her do her hair and paint her toenails, and giggling on the way over. I had bought her this really cute shirt to wear, and banana yellow nail polish.
I WAS NOT going to miss this, even if I swelled up like a balloon!!!!
It was close. By the time we got to the school, I was miserable. I couldn't stop itching for a minute, and the cafeteria where they held the dance was so hot, it was awful. My skin was so red and itchy and you could feel the heat coming off it. Hannah's mom offered to take Sky home for me if I wanted to go to the Urgent Care. At first, I refused to even think about leaving, but as the itching started to spread up my neck and face, I decided to take her up on her offer.
My Express Care experience was not too bad. I didn't even sit down in the waiting room, but was called right into Triage and given a room. While waiting, I got to watch some of Toy Story and The Incredibles on the Family Channel. In between the kids' movies were commercials for the Family Channel's "runaway hit" (their words, not mine), The Secret Life of the American Teenager. In the one commercial alone, the high school kids mentioned two different couples having sex and confronted a teen girl about a pregnancy. It's disgusting. The only thing more disgusting than the dialogue and plot is the acting. Shame on you, Molly Ringwald, for being a part of that!!!!
But I digress.
When the doctor came in, he said right off that I had had a bad allergic reaction to the insect bite. Luckily, it hadn't affected my breathing. He said that the swelling and itching wouldn't have just gone away by itself, that it likely would've lasted several days. I got a shot and some prednisone and they kept me for a couple of hours until they were sure that the swelling had gone down. I felt much better. I was no longer burning hot and itchy, just tired.
Once the swelling went down, my toe started to HURT!!!!!! And I was starving. Pizza Hut commercials kept coming on to remind me I had not eaten breakfast and had eaten very little lunch and even less dinner. (I had grabbed a couple of pieces of turkey bacon on the way out the door to take Sky to her dance).
Now I'm just whiny because I want pizza and even the back side of my ears hurt. Also, I hate fire ants, and I missed out on Skylar's first school dance. Oh, and I'm mad at George because when I texted him that I was starving and wanted pizza, he texted back "Sorry" and made me make my own canned cream of mushroom soup when I got home. And all of this after I didn't even flinch at helping him keep his junk iced with bags of frozen peas after his vasectomy!

1 comment:

Amy and Josh said...

You make me laugh so hard!!!!