CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, January 3, 2010

More Christmas

The children were really sweet with their gift-giving. Bart gave me soft,warm red socks. Skylar made a notebook for me with pictures of me on the cover that she had taken. She wrote the sweetest note inside the cover that made me tear up. She also sewed a purple and green scarf for me with George's help.

George gave me my favorite perfume, Estee Lauder Sensuous, and an Amazon Kindle which is just the coolest thing. George adores it, too. We've already downloaded a ton of books and I'm working my way through the second one, which is called "The Good Soldiers". It's about the war in Iraq and some of the soldiers that really served there. It's an excellent book, although the "F" word is used a lot. George is working his way through the complete works of Jules Verne which he downloaded for 99 cents.


Here Lulu and I hang out and eat raisins.

Dad, Diane, Aunt Rose, & Uncle Randy came over in the early afternoon and we had Christmas with them. Let's just say it was a very Star Wars Christmas for the boys. A little while later, George's family came and we ate a huge dinner before having our third gift-giving. It basically looked like a bomb went off in my house.


Mindy made a delicious Hershey's cake and Aunt Rose made a yummy red velvet cake. I had some of both and they were superb. Lucy really enjoyed the red velvet as you can see.


Even though we'd had a spell of cold weather, Christmas Day dawned balmy and gross. It was in the 60's and it rained. We were going to take the kids out for a walk, but it started raining before we left the front yard. Yuck. By the end of the night, Skylar and Leslie-Grace were playing outside in the rain. Crazy girls.

It was really nice having so much family over for Christmas. Even though it was a lot of work and I was exhausted by the end of the night, Christmas really is about being with your loved ones. I know the children all had a blast, which is the point.

That morning, we were talking with Drake about the real meaning of Christmas. We asked him what Christmas was all about and he said "presents" of course. So we told him we celebrate Christmas because of Jesus. And then we asked him what Jesus did on Christmas Day and he answered "party".

The end of the night found Bart sitting on the bathroom floor reading a book with Master Yoda while he tried not to puke anymore. I guess he'd eaten so much and run around so much with his cousins that he made himself sick.



I had to work the day after Christmas which kind of sucked. I was so tired that I accidentally turned my alarm off when it went off and went back to sleep. I woke up about ten minutes before I needed to leave for work and hauled butt to get there in time. The one good thing about going to work was that I didn't have to stress out about the mess in our house left over from the day before.

On Tuesday we made a trip to Raleigh to see our old friends the Claytons. How we missed the Claytons when we moved! They moved to Texas soon after we moved to New Bern, so we hadn't seen each other in three years. It was so great! It was like old times. We met at Crabtree Valley Mall and the boys hit the Lego store. We just chilled out in a little carpeted area for a long time, catching up. Then we headed over to the Natural History museum to meet another old friend. It was really great for all of us. Skylar had been really scared that when she saw Rachel again, who had been her best friend before we moved, it would be weird between them. At first it was a little awkward, and the girls were quiet, but by the end of the day, she and Rachel and Abby were giggling like old times. It was so good to see all of the children playing together so well.

While we were getting back in the car after the museum, we saw a segway tour.


Being in Raleigh at Christmastime brought back a lot of memories. George and I spent our first married Christmas there. Also, Skylar and I used to go with Jodi and her girls to see the Nutcracker at the BTI Center every year.

We left Raleigh and went to visit Dad and Diane. We had dinner with them and just relaxed and hung out for awhile. The kids were silly of course. We got back pretty late, but it was a great trip.

No comments: