CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Books, Movies, TV

In the world of books, I've been making my way through Glenn Beck's "Arguing With Idiots" this past week.

I'd really like to go to the movies, but there's nothing out that I am interested in seeing. I guess I'd just go for the popcorn, though.

As for TV, I've been DVR-ing the CW's "Vampire Diaries". I read all the books when I was in high school. I love some of LJ Smith's earlier books. She wrote "Night of the Solstice" and "Heart of Valor" which were probably two of mine and my sister's favorite books when we were growing up. I read "Night of the Solstice" to Skylar a few years ago, but I've had a really hard time finding a copy of "Heart of Valor" - I don't know if it went out of print or something?? But LJ Smith's books have been a lot easier to find lately, so maybe I can get my hands on a copy.

Anyway, I really liked the Vampire Diaries books. Twilight has some things in common with it. However, I am UTTERLY disappointed that the series on the CW is chock full of sex and drugs. Honestly, half the stuff in the TV show never happened in the books. I am really ticked off because they omitted a bunch of characters, changed names, made Elena a brunette instead of a blonde, gave Elena a druggie teenage brother instead of a little sister, and basically just crapped up the whole thing. I really wish they had stuck to the books. It's too hip (read: worldly). I don't really care if high school kids these days are really out there smoking pot, popping pills and sleeping around - that wasn't in the books and it really wasn't necessary to put it in. I guess it's going to just turn out to be another "Gossip Girl" or "One Tree Hill" with some vampires and werewolves thrown in. Ugh. The bad part is that even though it annoys me, I'm still watching it.

1 comment:

Nessa and Jeebs said...

SO true- I love reading now- I never really liked to read much before, but now that I'm reading I realize how crappy movies and TV really are. I think it's a conspiracy to RUin families. As tv shows portray sex and promiscuity as the norm more and more teenagers are ruining their lives. It just makes me angry now. It used to just be a whatever- I know my views are different - but now it makes me mad because I'm trying to raise my children in it. I understand my mom a lot more now- she used to get so angry when we would watch trashy television shows and I thought she should just relax, but now I know exactly how she was feeling. sorry for the long comment- the office just really made me mad! and I just literally felt bad and depressed afterwords.