CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Why Am I Not In Bed?

It's midnight, but I'm still up. In my defense, I only really got Lucy down for the night about half an hour ago. Still, what am I doing up? I must be crazy after the night we had last night.
Bart was getting sick on Saturday. He was acting really cranky and refused to eat dinner, even when dessert was threatened to be taken away. He actually said he did not want any dessert, my first indicator that something was amiss. Bart's first words to me upon waking, getting home from school, or pretty much any absence, is "Can I have a piece of candy?" or "Can I have a snack?"
So to refuse dessert, well, there was something definitely wrong.
Second, Bart was acting like a grump around his best friend/girlfriend Taylor that evening while she and her family were over for dinner. That was another red flag that Bart wasn't feeling well. He adores Taylor.
Well, it turned out he had a fever, so we kept him home from church. George went with Skylar for the first hour while I stayed with the boys and Lucy at home. Then I met drove to church so we could swap out and George would go home with Bart and I would bring Drake and Lucy with me. Only George was taking a really long time getting outside. Bart was still in his PJ's, but finally I had to go inside because there was someone I really needed to talk to.
As we were walking across the parking lot, I realized suddenly how goofy Bart looked at the moment. He was wearing these pajamas that are way too small, and even when they did fit him, they seemed a little too tight. So he's got these red pajama pants on that are about two inches above his socks and sneakers and over that he had thrown his huge, puffy, almost-never-need-to-wear-it-in-NC winter coat. He just really looked bizarre. And as usual, he had a goofball expression on his face.
When we got inside and found George, George made Bart go right back outside and wait for him in the car. Later, George told me Bart hadn't gone back to the car, he'd just been wandering around the parking lot. Knowing Bart, he was probably day-dreaming about light saber duels and droid armies.
You gotta love that kid.
Bart went to school Monday but was running a small fever that afternoon, so we kept him home Tuesday. Early Tuesday morning, I was stricken with some kind of stomach bug. It knocked me flat on my butt all day long. I could hardly get off the sofa by the afternoon. I was starting to feel better by late yesterday evening, though. Just in time for George to start feeling bad and Lucy to be up half the night. I could tell she wasn't feeling well, either. She seemed to have a tummyache and diarrhea.
I'm saying my prayers that Drake and Skylar stay well.
Friday is Sky's 10th birthday and she's having a sleepover with a few of her friends. She definitely needs to be well for that.
Drake is deep into the Terrible Two's right now and he doesn't need any further excuses to be cranky and difficult.
Speaking of Drake, he had sort of a rough time last week. I had brought him upstairs with me to play in our bedroom while I showered. Lucy was napping in her room. Usually Drake just plays cars and tries to close the bathroom door. But on this particular day, he decided to try turning on George's bedside lamp. George's bedside lamp is a small rectangular frosted glass lamp from IKEA. It's exactly like mine. It's also broken. In fact, George is on his second lamp. He broke the first one, too. So, anyway, it's jagged and sharp and I have told him several times he needs to get rid of it before someone gets hurt on it.
So of course, Drake cut his finger on it while I was in the shower.
I had shampoo in my hair and I was dripping water, but when I saw that Drake's finger was bleeding a good deal, I jumped out of the shower and threw a towel around me. I was fumbling to find a bandaid, and I told Drake to sit down on the bathroom floor while I looked. As he was sitting down, I accidentally hit the open cabinet door on my sink. The door flew open wider and smacked Drake right in the head, knocking him down.
Oh, he wailed! He hadn't been too worked up over his bleeding finger, but that smack in the head sure did it.
I sat on the closed toilet and cradled him to me, trying to keep some toilet paper pressed against his finger. After I calmed him down, I had to run downstairs in my towel, dripping water, to fetch a bandaid. I took the offending lamp and put it on a high shelf until George could safely dispose of it in the garbage.
I finally got to finish my shower while Drake lay on our bed, more subdued, and played with his cars.
The poor thing also fell down a couple of stairs Saturday morning and got a carpet burn over his left eye. He's been really rebellious about the stairs lately. Just today George and I both had problems with him messing around on the stairs. That's how he took the spill on Saturday. We're going to have to be very vigilant with him over the next few months.
I need to post about a bizillion pictures from the holidays, but now I am going to bed.

No comments: