CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, January 30, 2009

Snow Day











So to catch up....
I'm typing this one-handed while I nurse Lucy, on my new teeny-tiny laptop (it's smaller than a hardback novel). George bought it for me recently and I adore it! I'm starting back to school in March, so this'll make things easier for me, plus I can work on my writing anywhere....even while I nurse the baby.
George and I had such a bad holiday season, but we've worked things out pretty well and feel really good about our relationship. Deciding to go back to school has energized me (emotionally speaking - physically, I'm still an exhausted basket case). Working toward getting my PharmD has given both of us a new goal to reach for. George said the idea of helping me with calculus excites him, the weirdo. The only thing I'm worried about is whether most of my credits will transfer. For some things, it's been almost ten years. But I worked really hard and placed out of several English classes and I made all A's with a B or two. I REALLY don't want to have to take those classes over.
It's going to be a few years, but the work will definitely be worth it.
Bart ended up having an ear infection a few days after running that fever. He was up at 5am Monday (which was a school holiday) with ear pain and more fever, so I took him in to the doctor. The doctor said it was the worst ear infection he'd seen in years. By the next day, Bart was feeling better, though.
The children had a lot of days off from school this month. They had a three day weekend with MLK Jr. Day on Monday, two snow days, then two teacher workdays. So basically they had nine straight days off from school.
And the best part...
It actually snowed! In Eastern NC!




I confess I was a skeptic. Even when George's plant and the kids' school closed on Tuesday in anticipation of the bad weather. I was like, "Really, people, do you think it's going to snow in New Bern?" And when we woke up Tuesday a.m. there was only the faintest flurry drifting down - you could hardly see it. But my dentist called to say they were closing at noon, could I come in early for my crown fitting? So George drove us to Jacksonville in case the weather got worse.

When we left New Bern, the snow was just barely starting to stick to shrubs, trees, and even the ground in some spots.
While I sat in the dentist chair, George and the kids ran errands and the snow started to fall harder. By the time I was done, around noon, snow was swirling down and made the drive back home pretty tense. It snowed all day until about 7pm. The three older children played outside for hours. They built a little snowman on the back porch and collected icicles, which are still in our freezer, along with a bowl of snow for snow cream we never got around to making.
Drake had a blast. He'd never seen more than just a sprinkling of snow before and he loved it. It was so cozy inside and so beautiful outside. We actually got enough to cover the ground completely. Dad said they got around six inches in Sims.









I stepped out on the back porch to snap a few photos of the kids building a snowman. Skylar tried to be sneaky and roll a snowball to hit me with. I wasn't wearing a coat, though, so I warned her not to hit me. Well, Drake decided to throw snow at me at close range. In fact, he chased me back into the house, flinging snow the whole time. I decided it was safer to take pictures from behind the glass door. As you can see, the children had great fun hurling snowballs at my head - on the other side of the glass.





























The snow was melting by the next day, though. We're hoping for more.

No comments: