CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, October 4, 2008

What It's All About

Today Lucy absolutely made my day.
We were having the prayer at the end of Conference. I had just come back into the playroom (where we were watching Conference on the computer) from checking on dinner. As I bowed my head, I noticed Lucy was watching me from her bouncy chair. She just kept staring at me from all the way across the room, so I smiled at her. And she smiled right back at me!!
She's smiled at me loads of time over the past few weeks, but always when I was right there in front of her, never from across the room. It was so neat.
It totally made up for it later tonight when Lucy woke up from her nap and puked all over me on the way down the stairs. She had been trying all day to ruin my outfit and she finally succeeded. It's the same outfit she puked on Thursday before my Charmed Moments show, the new black shirt and jeans. This morning she almost got me twice before we left the house to go shopping. An outfit can only survive for so long against such odds.
I read over my last entry and realized how random I sounded. I guess when I look back in years to come, it'll remind me how sleep-deprived and nutty I was.
Tonight I caught part of the movie based on Nicholas Sparks' book, The Notebook. It got me thinking about my own writing career (or lack of it). At his book signing last year, I asked for some advice on getting my own work published. He advised me that I would not break into the biz with children's books (of which, I have two written but unpublished). He also advised me to consider the market and what people want to read and what was selling rather than what I might personally want to write. Which makes sense. It's just that I am just confused about the entire thing lately.
I don't even know what I want to write anymore. I feel like something is just missing or broken. I just need some inspiration, I think, in order to get myself back on track. At this point in my life, I can best relate to kids' books. I don't even feel connected to the person I was when I started writing some things that might sell quite well. I'm all muddled. I can't focus like I used to. So do I keep plugging away, or do I just give it a rest and wait until I get inspired? That could take years.
While I'm sitting here debating my life's path, George is blissfully absorbed in Guitar Hero, playing Metallica as Lou the devil, or demon, or whatever he is. The Wii has become like another member of our family. I have considered rearranging our downstairs and buying some new furniture in order to best accomodate it. You see, our family room is just not set up to give us the best playing area. It would be best if we moved our whole entertainment center along with the Wii into the playroom and bought a sofa bed (I justify this by the fact that the children could now have their sleepovers in the playroom). We could then get a smaller TV to put in the family room and move the sofas around to open the room up a bit more.
Great plan, but does anyone else see something wrong with this picture??
To get back to the topic of this post: furniture, video games, and STUFF is not "what it's all about". Sometimes you really have to stop and remind yourself of that. What is it all about?That rare, precious smile from across the room that makes you feel like a million bucks, even if you don't have two coins to rub together. Because that smile would be just as sweet if we were living in a shack, sitting on logs, and had never heard of TVs or Wiis. It might be even sweeter, because there would be less to distract me from it.
Now, the laptop. That I couldn't live without...

No comments: