CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, October 31, 2008

November Already??

Yes, it's officially November now. Where was I for the entire month of October?
Let's see....
I was holed up in the sewing room making Halloween costumes, that's where.
As much as I love sewing Halloween costumes (or any costumes), I am so glad that I am done with them. And this year I really took it upon myself to prove my insanity. I had the goal of sewing six costumes. Well, I sewed three and a half, bought one, and said screw it on the sixth.
I'm tired.
Oh, and I sewed my finger about two weekends ago. It broke the needle right in half and I decided that sewing at 1am is not a great idea.
Now that I'm free to spend time on pursuits other than attire-making, I guess I'm going to have to play catch-up for the month of October. This has really been a non-stop month for us.
Tonight was the Trunk or Treat and dinner fundraiser at church. I needed to be there by 5pm to help set-up, but George ended up having a departmental meeting from 4 to 5, so I had the privelege of finishing up costumes, getting myself all the children dressed and out the door, and hauling all of us plus candy buckets, bags, and assorted costume pieces into church by myself. Fun, fun, fun. At one point, I think both babies were screaming in the car while Bart was trying to explain to me some obscure bit of Star Wars-ology, but we got there pretty much on time with only a minimal amount of yelling and bribery.
I usually overplan and stress out on holidays, Halloween being one of the worst. George likes to say that we come close to getting a divorce every Halloween. Last year was miserable. It was a nice combination of my aforementioned overplanning and stressing along with George's grumpy disapproval of the whole "pointless" holiday and a general bad attitude toward what he deems as frivolity. So what if Halloween is frivolous, or even pointless? Who cares? It's the one holiday where it's OK to be rowdy and a little bit weird. I love the costumes and the candy. I love the chill in the air and the remote possibility of magic things happening.
So this year I tried to have everyone's costume made before Halloween day so we could just relax and enjoy things. Luckily the children had a teacher workday today, so we did not have to get up early. I think Lucy and I slept until 8:30 or 9am. The boys were up early of course, watching Halloween cartoons on Nickelodeon and Disney Channel. Skylar emerged from her bedroom as Lucy and I were coming down the hallway. She had her nose stuck in a book, as usual, still in her NC State PJs.
I feel kind of bad that we didn't carve a pumpkin this year, but we just really didn't have the time. I'm generally the one that initiates it, and I usually have the baby in one arm, not a good combination when there's pumpkin goo involved. We did decorate the outside of our house, however. It's actually quite nice, and it looked really pretty before my orange mums and my light purple and dark purple asters died. I don't know why the asters died - they had been really heatlhy. Who knows?
I just fell asleep typing and hit the "K" key all the way across the page. I think it's time for me to be getting to bed. I have a TON of pictures to post, though. The photo attachment feature is giving me problems, too, so I'll just wait until tomorrow to deal with it.

No comments: